Install Printer Driver Silently
Windows drivers can be installed remotely and silently using an executable [.exe] script. This particular example is for an Epson XP420 Printer Driver, but the principle is the same for any driver for a windows computer.
This script will download and install the Epson XP420 silently on a computer.
The table below outlines all the fields that need to be set when creating this custom script.
Epson XP420 Driver
System Account or Specified User Account
Create a Custom Script
1. Select the Control Grid tab on the top menu bar.
2. Navigate to the Applications tab.
3. Click CUSTOM SCRIPT.
4. Select Create Custom Script.
5. Enter a Name for the script, Epson XP420 Driver, in this example. Use any name you'd like to use.
6. Enter the URL that points to where the driver is being hosted, https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/XP420_XP424_X64_22101_NA.exe in this example. You might need to download this file and host it on a link that is whitelisted in your firewall.
Best Practice is to download the sample script and self-host it. You can do this for free with GitHub. See the Quick Guide to Self-Hosting Custom Scripts for more information.
7. Select the script type: Executable [.exe].
8. Command Line: Enter the silent command /s
9. Select the account to Run As; either System Account or Specified User Account.
10. Click SAVE TO GRID.
Once saved, the script can be pushed to an individual computer or groups of computers. It can also be scheduled using a Policy.
The script will now appear in the list of Custom Scripts. It will also be available to select from the Applications Control Grid View.
Search for the script in the grid using the search option. If your applications are grouped, you will see a column named Custom Scripts. Selecting the Custom Script header will display all the scripts that have been added to the grid.